Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Finally Back!

Well, we arrived back home last week. It was a great trip and we're both really glad we went! The hotel was nice- nicer than we expected and there was so much to do and see in the city. After a week, it's like we barely scraped the surface.
I got to see some friends I hadn't seen for years. They joined us for a day of sightseeing and it was a blast. They were with us when we saw naked man- the dude who just dropped trou in the middle of an intersection and yelled at a cab for awhile before putting his clothes back on and continuing about his business.
We saw Avenue Q while we were there and loved it. The show was hilarious. We did Central Park, Empire State building, Tribeca/Greenwich/SoHo, Wall Street, Times Square (including the awesome Toys 'R' Us and Disney store!), FAO Schwartz (yes giant piano!), WTC memorial, Museum of Natural History (twice! We loved it!) and yeah, I went to some yarn stores!

We did Habu first, and my boyfriend came with me. It was a rainy miserable morning and we were soaked by the time we got to the address. It took awhile to find because I was kinda expecting a storefront. Instead, it's in a random office building on the 8th floor in the back.
Once we found it, I was in heaven. So many pretties! Of course, they're mainly for weaving so everything was very fine. It was fine by me, though (ha ha) because I've got enough heavier yarns at home. Laceweight is fun!
I came home with some cream/white laceweight (enough for a simple shift dress, I think) as well as some dark turquoise merino, I think (unfortunately not labeled!) and the real treat- a cone of their silk and stainless steel yarn. Yummy. It's got a gorgeous sheen to it. I'm planning on making a shawl out of it and can't wait to see the final product. And my boyfriend was incredibly sweet- when it came time to pay, he insisted. It was a really nice gift! Am I a lucky gal or what?

I also went on my own (while my boyfriend looked around the nearby Museum of Natural History) to Knitty City. It was a great store. Everyone was really friendly and nice and I would love to go back some time.
I ended up with some real treats there too! Some gorgeous blue ShiBui sock yarn, some Madelinetosh Pashmina that I turned into a moebius cowl and my favorite, some Blue Heron Rayon Metallic. It's soft, yummy yarn that is so sparkly. I adore it. I've already made a slouchy beret from it but have enough leftover for a matching project. I'm thinking scarf. It was definitely a one time vacation treat- but I am having serious day dreams about a top made from this.

I'm glad I chose those two as the stores to visit. Habu isn't super customer friendly- they're really nice, but it's a different environment. Their yarns are pretty incredible, though. Knitty City carries a nice variety of general popular yarn, but their atmosphere and friendliness made them stand out.
I am glad to be home, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment